Raising Chickens in the Backyard
Raising chickens in the backyard can be an enjoyable and rewarding hobby for those who have the space for it.
When you raise chickens in your backyard, not only do they provide you with fresh, tasty, and good-for-you eggs every morning, they can also help compost your yard and get rid of pesky insects and weeds.
7 Helpful Hints on Raising Chickens in the Backyard
1) Do your research. If you think you would like to have your own chickens, it is important to do your research ahead of time so you know all that is needed. Get the eBook and find out what you need.
2) Decide on a coop. You must plan to provide a sturdy, weatherproof coop for your birds. You can either purchase a ready-made coop or build one yourself.
3) Plan for weather extremes. Consider the climate where you live. You need to be sure that your chickens are protected from the extreme heat of the summer and the cold weather of winter.
It is crucial to carefully monitor the temperature of your chicken coop.
4) Learn about caring for your chickens. You will also need to know how to properly care for your birds if you hope to enjoy the benefits of fresh eggs or a delicious chicken dinner.
For example, fresh water is as important for chickens as it is for people. You will need to be able to provide a water source that will not freeze when temperatures dip.
5) Learn how to feed your chickens. For feeding your chickens, good commercial rations will ensure a healthy, balanced diet. Special rations for chicks have a higher proportion of protein than rations for older birds.
6) Plan for lighting your coop. If you would like to continue to collect eggs during the shorter days of winter, you will need to use lights in your hen house to artificially prolong the days.
7) Decide what your goals are. If you are interested in raising chickens for meat, you can buy chicks and nurture them for 8 weeks for fryer size, or 13 weeks for roaster size.
Keeping laying hens for eggs is a more long term project.
There is a lot you will need to know to keep your chickens healthy.
The good news is that we are making available a downloadable ebook on raising your own chickens that contains everything you will need to know about caring for your new feathered friends.
To learn more, visit Chickens in the Backyard.
Visit How to Care for Chickens in Your Backyard for an informative ebook on raising chickens in the backyard.
Graphics, articles, and videos on these pages are protected by copyright. If you need material for your blog or website, visit HomeFreePLR for quality articles and graphics.
Copyright © 2014 – All Rights Reserved
Thanks for visiting!
My purpose here at 7HelpfulHints is to serve my readers and also to fund my efforts by selling products and earning affiliate commissions. Please note that I receive commission from the eBooks sold on these pages, and the ads that are displayed.
Graphics, articles, and videos on these pages are protected by copyright. If you need material for your blog or website, visit my HomeFreeMedia Shop for quality articles and graphics.
Get more inspiration for a better life at NormaEsler.com.