How to Cook Squash
Seven Tasty Ways to Cook Squash
Learning how to cook squash is truly a must. Squash is one of the most readily available and also versatile vegetables, so knowing how to cook with it will open up many doors.
Plus, squash is filled with many antioxidants and vitamins, making it a vegetable that not only will fill you up, but is also healthy for you. And since it’s so readily available it also makes it an inexpensive, as well as tasty, vegetable to cook with.
If your squash is too hard to cut into, poke it to let the steam out and then soften it in the microwave for a few minutes before chopping.
7 Helpful Hints on How to Cook Squash
1) Roasted squash – Wash your squash. Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Leave the skin on and scoop out the insides when it’s done. Season with some salt and pepper and sprinkle some oil over the squash spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven until done. You can test its doneness by looking at the flesh of the squash – it should be tender and easy to pierce with a fork. Serve it in pieces, or mash or puree it if you would prefer.
Acorn squash is very tasty when roasted and seasoned with butter, brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
2) Squash soup – Cook cubed butternut squash with some chicken or vegetable broth, a chopped carrot, and a chopped red pepper. When cooked, puree in a blender and season with salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne or your favourite hot sauce.
3) Sautéed squash – This is easy to make and tastes great, too. Slice your squash up into pieces. Put in a pan with some oil. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until it begins to brown and caramelize.
Squash is naturally very sweet so it caramelizes fairly quickly. Make sure the pan is not too hot so that your squash will cook through.
4) Deep fried squash – What doesn’t taste good deep fried? Try it with squash for a healthy treat. Slice the squash into small slices. Season with some salt and pepper. Dredge the squash slices in an egg bath and then coat with some flour or cornmeal. Place into hot oil and cook until brown and it rises to the top of the oil. Eat alone or dipped in some ranch dressing.
5) Grilled squash – This is another very tasty way to enjoy your squash, and it’s also simple to prepare. Have it with some grilled chicken. Cut your squash into halves and drizzle some olive oil over them. Season with some salt and pepper and then place on a baking sheet on the grill. Grill six minutes on each side and that’s it. Cut it up and serve with whatever main dish you would like.
6) Squash kabobs – For whatever reason, food always tastes better on a stick. Squash will not disappoint as a kabob. Cut your squash into cubes and place them on skewers. You can use it alone or with other vegetables and small pieces of meat like chicken. Season with salt and pepper and brush with some oil or melted butter. Place your kabobs on a grill that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Remove the squash when the outside begins to blacken and the flesh is tender. Then it’s time to enjoy.
7) Squash Pie – Substitute cooked butternut squash for pumpkin puree in your favourite pumpkin pie recipe. It will be every bit as delicious, and you might not even be able to tell the difference!
Squash is such an easy and tasty vegetable to work with, so try it in many different ways. You don’t need to do a lot to make it taste good, either. It’s naturally a very tasty vegetable. So what are your favorite ways to have squash?
Get the eBook
Clean Eating – Choose the best foods for a healthier you
Thanks for visiting!
My purpose here at 7HelpfulHints is to serve my readers and also to fund my efforts by selling products and earning affiliate commissions. Please note that I receive commission from the eBooks sold on these pages, and the ads that are displayed.
Graphics, articles, and videos on these pages are protected by copyright. If you need material for your blog or website, visit my HomeFreeMedia Shop for quality articles and graphics.
Get more inspiration for a better life at NormaEsler.com.